High School Expanded Eligibility Requirements
WVSB Coordinators are ultimately responsible for selecting and inviting participating teams and strive to preserve fairness of opportunity and a geographically diverse representation. The WVSB Coordinators use the process below to guide team selection:
1. Teams interested in participating in the WVSB must first participate in a RESA competition.
- Please refer to this RESA Map to find the location of your area competition.
- RESA 1 & 4: Nov 4 Concord Univ. Steve Kuehn email@example.com
- RESA 2 & 3: Nov 17 WV State Univ. Mike Fultz firstname.lastname@example.org
- RESA 5: Dec 19 WVU Parkersburg Candace Lewis email@example.com
- RESA 6: Dec 1 West Liberty Univ. Pat Durkin firstname.lastname@example.org
- RESA 7: Dec 8 Fairmont State Univ. Joshua Revels email@example.com
- RESA 8: see rule 3
2. Please note the following regarding the required RESA local preliminary competition:
- If 3 or fewer teams from a former RESA register to participate in their respective RESA competition, those teams will receive an automatic invite to participate in the WVSB.
- In a single RESA competition involving more than 3 teams, the top 3 winning teams will receive an invite to participate in the WVSB. The 4th-place winning team is recorded as a possible alternate. If fewer than 3 teams from a single RESA local competition register to participate, the remaining slots to receive an invite to participate in the WVSB will be filled by choosing at random an alternate team(s) from other single RESA.
- In a combined (2 RESA) competition comprised of more than 3 teams from each of 2 former RESA, teams from schools in 1 RESA may compete against teams from schools in another RESA. The top 3 winning teams from each of the 2 RESA will receive an invite to participate in the WVSB. The 4th-place winning teams from each RESA recorded for a possible alternate participants. If fewer than 3 teams from a combined RESA competition register to participate, the remaining slots to receive an invite to participate in the WVSB will be filled by choosing at least the 1st alternate team from the other RESA in that combined competition.
3. If there is no RESA competition in your area (ex RESA 8), teams can register to compete in the WVSB. A school can pre-register up to 2 teams, Team 1 (first pre-registered team) and Team 2 (second pre-registered team), not to exceed 4 teams per school district. Eligible Team 1s will be pre-approved on a first-come, first-served basis determined by the date/time stamp when their pre-registrations were submitted and, with first pre-registered teams taking precedence over second pre-registered teams.
- Eligible Team 1s will be pre-approved to participate as soon as team coaches complete and submit their pre-registrations. Coaches will then have until 11:59 PM on Fri, Dec 1, 2023, to collect and enter student data, upload required consent forms, and add co-coaches without fear of losing their Team 1 spot. A coach can’t submit a full team registration until all required student information and forms have been submitted. Failure to submit by Dec 1 may result in the team losing their spot.
- Beginning Tue, Dec 5, Team 1s will be approved only if team coaches have fully entered and/or uploaded all required student, coach, and co-coach information and forms.
- Beginning Tue, Dec 19, and space permitting, pre-registered Team 2s will be approved to participate only if team coaches have fully entered and/or uploaded all required student, coach, and co-coach information and forms. If all Team 2s cannot be approved, Regional Coordinators will use a DOE-approved random selection process for approval.